Whereforto Ye Wanderers

Whereforto Ye Wanderers.



Friday, February 7, 2014

guilty cheesebuger highway



On the highway
My road to commute
Is bleached bone white-
The grey sky
Yea it’s sundry and gray-
Those powerlines
The train tracks run adjacent
Carving a tunnel out of the cold air.
I’ve been here before-
I drive
Feel a bit free.

During lunchbreak
I fall into the guiltiest cheeseburger I’ve ever eaten.
Fried and battered white bread,
Double “steakburger”
Two melted cheeses
And an unfathomable special sauce.
I eat it all
In 4 minutes in my car in the parkinglot.

I get news from a friend in the California woods
He describes himself as a type of fungus
In the cracks of civilization’s concrete.
I feel brief lust for trees tall and dark
And air without cheeseburgers,
Dappled with warm moisture.
     
 But I stay put in this city,
To learn a craft
And indulge my whims
in the bonewhite winter
and the cheeseburger sky
and far off friends in the strangest of woods.