Whereforto Ye Wanderers

Whereforto Ye Wanderers.



Tuesday, December 8, 2009

portland still calls me
and talks to me
on facebook
asking me to follow
trails there
but i gave lewis and clark
lung cancer months ago
when i said to you
that manifest destiny
was a savage
when i told you that i loved you
when i was choking on my own
nervous breath
when i saw them take your face
away
portland still calls me
but i can hear echoes on the line
scratchy background voices
of unemployment
population surplus
betrayal
and dirty sewer water
portland is calling me
with ego on its tongue
and longing on its toes
but i don't answer
because the trail
of tears
that inch when i tell you
i might
are enough to keep
shackles on my ankles
and find
find
find myself
repeating days
and nights
in midwest landlocked
burial ground
portland still calls me
still calls me
still writes on my wall
still talks about house hunting
still says please help
still knocks on my door
as the phantom phantastic phreedom
as the breadgiver and the dancer
portland still calls
and i can't answer anymore

No comments: