Whereforto Ye Wanderers

Whereforto Ye Wanderers.



Friday, July 10, 2009

Before I could see myself

through my own head
(as I used to interpret
my inner vision
through the lenses of peripheral folk--
fly-eyed external view)
this is where I played my fantasy track
over and over,
kicking and scooping up momentum,
dancing and screaming in my brain.
Before sex was a thing to enjoy and seek
before love was a thing to understand and ration
Before time was a thing to conquer and endure
I’d put soundwaves in my ears
and blisters on my hands
from the wooden-seated rope-sided
meditation cushion my dad
crafted for me when I was 13 or so
(too old for it, really).
Now three cup-sizes
and two pairs of glasses later
I borrow a few minutes
on the playground down the street
grab sunblistered air
scoop rocks in my shoes
when I need to slow down
watch the neighborhood boys
travel in packs that remind me
these are called the dog-days
of summer.

No comments: