Whereforto Ye Wanderers

Whereforto Ye Wanderers.



Sunday, March 15, 2009

Requiem (EH)

I tripped on the old gestures

and you didn’t hang forward

and catch me this time;

you are out of step 

with me now, don’t know 

if it’s ahead or behind.


I fought it this long

because I mourn for Us,

and it came on as a low, 

creeping siren’s lament,

settled into my bones 

with my suspicions before

I knew either existed.


We together made an entity 

like a child--a soft gentle

thing that grew slowly

out of car rides

and comfortable silences,

a genderless being fed

on inside jokes, stolen touches,

words that can only come 

to pass at 3am.


The realization is late

but simple;

we are not That Way

anymore. We do not mingle

the heat of our skin,

but stand as far

from each other as possible--

opposite corners,

separate spheres.

We do not feed our communion

now but dedicate effort

to enlarging these spaces.

We do not meet eyes

across such distances;

we no longer communicate

through pupil dilation

and brow manipulation.


The old coded words

are useless these days,

our dissolved child’s

broken toy.


No comments: