Whereforto Ye Wanderers

Whereforto Ye Wanderers.



Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Final Phase (EH)

I think the final phase

is not asking why anymore.

Swimming crawl through

the cold and warm pockets

of our paths--

     some are more aware of this

     than others.

After the first few miles

of one’s particular channel

we drop that continent-eating 

word and 

just

                  keep

                     stroking--

  some are faster at this

  than others.


I don’t know, love.

We were born in a culture

that conditions us to sleep

alone.


One of my darlings told me

never to ask questions

if I feared their answers.

While I find this appalling advice,

I take it.


Why you hold me like

a dying fish.


Why you pull away from me

as the tide.


Why every time I come,

I light a cigarette,

and think of you.


No comments: