Whereforto Ye Wanderers

Whereforto Ye Wanderers.



Wednesday, January 21, 2009

the death of a boy by Lauren Berkholtz

the death of a boy
by Lauren Berkholtz
i remember watching you die right before me
i’ve never seen eyes so sunken in
a spine folded over on itself
it’s been years since i’ve seen you
now, only the emptiness of a man
i searched, the crevices between the floor boards,
the old bed sheets, the mismatched socks
looking for you
and one day I found you
my god, i found you
crumpled up in the bottom dresser drawer
i took you in my hands
and worked the creases out of your thin fibers
i spread you out in the square of sun
just below the window,
took our green soldiers and arranged
a massacre on top of you
rolled marbles like fragile bombs

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love sad beauty. This poem makes me feel tingly and disconcerted in a good way.